Wednesday, November 9, 2011

London, England


I have had a long standing love of London since I discovered the Sex Pistols and safety pin jewelry. The last time I was in London I was traveling with a friend named Jessica Kaminsky, funny how this trek to visit the queen I AM Jessica Kaminski.  If this pattern holds, on my next London trip will I be Brad Kaminski?  I digress.

I was elated that our journey would be taking us to the Royal doorstep.  We only had 48 hours before we had to move on, but we certainly made the most of our time.  We landed in London headed straight to our accommodations (a room above a brewery and pub) dropped our gear and headed into the thick of it.



We usually avoid chain restaurants at all cost, but we made an exception with the London Hard Rock Cafe.  It is the original location and my slight obsession with Eric Clapton fueled my desire to eat there again. Mr. Clapton's guitar was the first to adorn the walls of the restaurant. Throwing caution to the wind we dined on overpriced burgers and beers set against a glittering (and sometimes grungy) backdrop of music memorabilia.  It was awesome.

We started day two with traditional English fuel.  More precisely Brad started the day with a traditional English breakfast and I watched in amazement as he polished off the largest plate of breakfast I have ever seen (with the exception of Beth's 12 egg omelet, but that is another story).



Very satiated, actually bordering on the verge of painfully bloated, we hopped the tube to have a go at fancy London town.



Our first stop was Buckingham Palace in hopes of seeing the changing of the guard.  We didn't.  The guard change happens every other day in the off season, we landed on the off day.  But we did get to see the palace and the balcony where William and Kate had the first royal kiss as husband and wife.  I think Brad particularly enjoyed seeing this as he is such a wonderful husband that he stayed up sipping champagne with me to watch the Royal Wedding.






We then wandered through St. James park where we met some of the friendliest wildlife I have ever seen.  The Squirrels and birds would eat out of your hand; some of the squirrels would even climb your pant leg for a nibble of food. It was enchanting and reminded me of the scene in Shrek where Snow White calls upon the forest animals for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment